- October 31, 2018
- Posted by: greendot
- Category: Motivation
Built as a memorial to the ‘Iron Man of India’ Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the construction work of Statue of Unity is about to be completed in the next few days after four years of work. It will be the largest statue in the world with a height of 182 metres. Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to inaugurate the statue at Kevadia in Narmada district of Gujarat on October 31, birthday of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Rashtriya Ekta Trust (SVPRET), a special purpose vehicle was established by the Gujarat government for construction of the statue. The iron needed for the statue and other structures was to be collected from farmers of villages all around India in a form of a donation of their used farming instruments. SVPRET set up 36 offices across India to collect these iron instruments wherein over 500,000 Indian farmers were expected to donate. The drive was named the ‘Statue of Unity movement’. There was to be three-months-long nationwide campaign to collect iron pieces from 600,000 villages to build the statue. During this period, over 5,000 tonnes of iron were collected. Although it was initially announced that the iron collected will be used for the main statue, it later emerged that the collected iron will not be used in construction of the main statue and will instead be used for some other part of the project.
A Legacy of Unity:
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel leaves behind a rich legacy of unity and integrity. His toils and efforts which managed to stitch together the numerous small and often conflicting princely states into the colourful tapestry that makes up Indian society, is commemorated as National Unity Day (राष्ट्रीय एकता दिवस) .
10-lesson plan of unity:
- “एकता में बल”-when there is teamwork and collaboration, wonderful things can be achieved.
- There is power in unity than division.
- When spiders unite, they can tie down a lion.
- Unity is vision; it must have been part of the process of learning to see.
- All for one, and one for all.
- My only desire is that India should be a good producer and no one should be hungry, shedding tears for food in the country.
- There is something unique in this soil, which despite many obstacles has always remained the abode of great souls.
- It is in my nature to be a friend of the friendless.
- Little pools of water tend to become stagnant and useless, but if they are joined together to form a big lake the atmosphere is cooled and there is universal benefit.
- In unity there is strength.