- May 31, 2018
- Posted by: saloni kapadiya
- Category: Business Solution, Production, Productivity, Quality, TPM, Uncategorized
Are you putting more than needed efforts for equipment maintenance??? Here are effortless tips for maintaining your production and equipments through TOTAL PRODUCTIVE MAINTENANCE and 8 TPM PILLARS.
TPM – TOTAL PRODUCTIVE MAINTENANCE
Total productive maintenance is a complete system for maintenance of equipment that aims at achieving an optimal production environment devoid of defects, downtime, stoppages and accidents.Total productive maintenance (TPM) is a method of maintaining and improving the integrity of production and quality systems through the machines, equipment, employees and the supporting processes. TPM can be of great value and its target is to improve core business processes.
Total Productive Management emphasizes proactive and preventative maintenance to maximize the operational efficiency of equipment. It blurs the distinction between the roles of production and maintenance by placing a strong emphasis on empowering operators to help maintain their equipment.
TPM empowers every worker to monitor the equipment they operate or work near for potential issues. Because there are so many people involved in maintaining the equipment, few issues go unnoticed
Benefits of effective TPM PILLARS include the following:
Before we look forward to 8 TPM PILLARS, it is important to know that 5S METHODOLOGY is the base to it.
8 TPM PILLARS OF TOTAL PRODUCTIVE MAINTENANCE
TPM PILLAR 1 – Autonomous Maintenance
- Autonomous Maintenance which is one of the TPM PILLARS is all about the basic maintenance activities where operators and maintenance staff can save time for future complex maintenance tasks.
- Maintenance activities include basic cleaning of machines, lubricating, oiling, and tightening of nuts and bolts, inspection, diagnosis of potential problems etc which can increase the efficiency of equipment.
- Workers become more responsible towards their work and there will be no need of waiting for maintenance staff for correcting simple problems that may occur from time to time by above maintenance activities.
- Engineering staff can be free to carry out higher-level maintenance activities due to regular maintenance activities.
TPM PILLAR 2 – PLANNED MAINTENANCE
- Planned maintenance is scheduling maintenance task on predictive and failure rate measures.
- Proper scheduling of planned maintenance contributes to a longer service life of machines.
- Constant scheduling maintenance activities leads to gradual decrease in breakdowns which therefore increases the capacity for productive activities.
- Planned maintenance also significantly reduces instances of unplanned stop time.
TPM PILLAR 3 – QUALITY MAINTENANCE
- Quality Maintenance sees to the quality issue by ensuring equipment is able to detect and prevent errors during production. Processes become more reliable to produce the right specification the first time by detecting errors.
- It also Apply Root Cause Analysis to eliminate recurring sources of quality defects.
- This pillar specifically targets quality issues with improvement projects focused on removing root sources of defects.
- Through Quality maintenance defects are minimized or completely eliminated.
- The amount of rework that has to be done to correctand the Cost of poor quality is reduced by getting quality right the first tim through by this pillar.
TPM PILLAR 4 – FOCUSED IMPROVEMENT
- Cross-functional teams gets assembled with the main working on problematic equipment and then they come up with improvement suggestions.
- Focused improvement Combines the collective talents of a company for continuous improvement.
- Cross functional come up with solutions to the issues that arise concerning crucial machines.
- The teams work together to make sure that the solutions they bring are implemented and follow-up activities are done within particular time
TPM PILLAR 5 – EARLY EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE
- The fifth TPM pillar is about experience gathered from previous maintenance improvement activities to ensure that new machinery is more efficient with time.
- Early Equipment Maintenance is about understanding of manufacturing equipment gained through TPM which will be helpful in future for design of new equipment.
- New equipment achieves goals sooner due to fewer issues.
TPM PILLAR 6 – EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Education and training is concerned with the knowledge gap in an organization in context to total productive maintenance.
- Without proper training and knowledge, maintenance staff may misunderstand the concept which can result in some disaster.
- Managers are trained with Total Productive Maintenance principles as well as employee coaching and development.
- Education and training ensure that Maintenance personnel learn techniques for preventative maintenance.
TPM Pillar 7 – SAFETY, HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENT
- The health, safety and environment pillar of total productive maintenance sees that all employees are provided with safe and it also ensure that harmful conditions are eliminated for their goodness.
- It basically targets and accident free and a safer workplace.
- Safer environment leads to more productivity and efficiency of employees.
TPM PILLAR 8 – ADMINISTRATION
- In this pillar Total productive maintenance techniques are applied to administrative functions.
- Administrative functions are the supportive functions, that makes operations understandable helps to provide efficient service to the main value-creating processes
- Production gets better when administrative orders are applied in Total Productive Maintenance
Total Productive Maintenance and TPM Pillars aims to enable you to optimise production assets to deliver zero breakdowns, zero defects and zero accidents. TPM has found particularly strong application in the production department where equipment reliability and capability is very very important.
8 TPM pillars are the components that can be fully beneficial to your complete system which leads to great productivity and efficiency . Hence Total Productive Maintenance and TPM Pillars is not just about maintaining productivity but also about the maintenance of machines and the prevention of possible stoppages and breakdowns. TPM Pillars are also much known about productivity improvement and optimization of machines and equipments availability through which machines are operated at their optimal level.