Poka-yoke is a mistake proofing tool which was first invented by Shigeo Shingo in the 1960’s. It has since found a very wide variety of applications and it can be used to prevent an opportunity of error all across an industry.
In this article we will be learning
- what is poka- yoke
- Poka yoke Examples
- How to applyu poka yoke in manufacturing industries
- Types of Poka yoke
- Poka yoke Principle
- Poka yoke techniques
- Benifits of Poka yoke
What’s Poka- Yoke?
- Poka- Yoke means” error proofing”or” mistake-proofing”. It came from the word”Poka” which means” mistake”and”Yokeru”which means”to avoid”and it’s a Japanese term.
- It’s any machine in any process that helps for” mistake-proofing “or” error proofing”.
- We can remove product defect by preventing it, correcting it, or detecting is as they do.
- It’s one of the Lean Manufacturing Tools
- This concept was accepted, by Shigeo Shingo as part of the Toyota Production System.
- Shigeo Shingo used the word “Poka_yoke” in the 1960s to prevent human error during industrial processes design.
Poka- Yoke Example
here are few example of the poka yoke that we are experincing daily basis.
- A simple illustration is when we start a car having manual gearbox, we must have to press on the clutch pedal before starting. This prevents us against the unintended movement or jerk of the car during the starting
- Seat Belt wearing Indicator.
- Auto-locking of the door at the certain speed of the car.
- Bar code for correct product identification
How to apply Poka-Yoke in manufacturing?
It can be implement at any step of the manufacturing process. We should apply this tool, where the possibility of somethings can go wrong or an error can be made. It’s a part of lean Manufacturing
Way of Poka- Yoke implementation
- Identification Problems
- Seek root cause
- find and implement solution
- measure the resul
- What are the types of poka- Yoke?
Types of Poka-Yoke
Shigeo Shingo acknowledge three types for detecting and preventing mistake in a process as mentioned below.
- Constant Number (or fixed- value) Metho
- Sequence (or motion step) method
The contact method
The contact method identifies defect using a part’s shape, color, size, other physical attributes. It can also include limit switches and Emrgency detectors.
The constant number (or fixed- value) method
When certain movements aren’t made also this error-proofing or mistake-proofing tool informs the operators. This method is known as the constant number (or fixed- value) method. Counters can be used for this at each step of the process as necessary.
The sequence (or motion step) method
This method ensures the sequence fo the process step before moving to the coming step.
This is known as the sequence (or motion step) method. The sequence method isn’t allowing the mistake to be made in the first place. Illustration of sequence method is color coding and trailing and this parameter are checked at each step before moving forward.
Poka- Yoke Principles
- Quality Processes
- Utilize a Team Environment
- Elimination of Error
- Eliminate the Root Cause
- Do It Right The First Time
- Eliminate Non-Value Added decision and activity
- Apply a Continual impro vement Approach
Make a robust process design for zero defect manufacturing.
Utilize a Team Environment
For any improvement, communicate with the teammates so we can use their knowledge and experience to apply our improvement.
Elimination of error
Use several problem- solving methodologies or ways for reducing defect and drop defect to zero.
Eliminate the Root Cause
Eliminate the root cause of any problem by implement this tool.
Do It Right The First Time
Make the process very effective to perform functions rightly for the first time.
Eliminate Non-Value Added decisions and activity
Identify all non-value added decisions and activity and remove them.
Apply a Continual improvement Approach
We can’t get 100 result in a single pass.So, apply improvement effort immediate and concentrate on continual improvement so we can get a 100 result.
Six Poka- Yoke technique Explained with Exemplifications
Primarily concentrate on elimination. In Elimination, we’ve to remove the step that’s responsible for the mistake Remove. Non-Value Added activity Redesign the product and revision of the process (as applicable)
Poka yoke Example : Replace manual data entry with barcode scanning
If elimination isn’t possible the alternate option is Replacement. In Replacement, we’ve to replace the step with a more dependable mistake- evidence one. Automation of repetitious motion activites
Poka Yoke Example – Welding Robotics for an automotive manufacturer
If the above two method aren’t possible also the 3rd option is prevention
Change product or process (as applicable) so that mistake is prevent.
Prevention is a physical boundary to help uninvited action.
Poka Yoke Example- Safety guards on lifts, plugs for 110V & 220V, Printer cartridges and Go/ No Go Needles,etc.
If the above three method aren’t possible also the 4th option is facilitation. Facilitation is to help someone to take the right decision. We can faciliate any process or product by visual controls like color coding, markers, lines, and signs,etc.
Poka Yoke Example- Warning signs, checklist, Traffic lane markings, Color- enciphered parts or tools,etc.
If the above four method aren’t possible also the 5th option is facilitation. Detetcion is to identify or detect the wrong product or process immediate after it happens. We can give detection by Detectors, limit switches, or light detectors.
poka Yoke Example – Safety guard limit switches to help machine running in an open condition, Computer warning if all information isn’t filled in.
If the above five method aren’t possible also the 6th option is mitigation. Mitigation is to minimize the effects of mistake or failures. This method is used when the mistake can not be eliminate.
Poka Yoke Example Personal defensive equipment, Airbags in cars, Electrical Fuses, and An eraser on a pencil,etc.
Benefits of poka- Yoke implementation
- Elimination of numerous operations related to quality control
- Increase the motiovation of an employee
- Reduce the overburden of operators from repetitious operations
- A reduced number of rejects
- Immediate action when a problem occurs
- 100 build-in quality control.
- Lower time spent on training workers
- Promotion of the work improvement oriented approach
Conculsion : The use of the poka yoke tool significantly reduces the risk that an error could take place and therefore improves the success rate in assembling machines or products. In this way it can save costs, increase productivity and quality, and create a better working environment in factories and offices alike – ultimately benefiting any organization business which makes an effort to apply this powerful technique.
- SMART Goal Setting in Six SigmaThe post SMART Goal Setting in Six Sigma appeared first on Greendot Management Solutions.
- 12 Step of TPM ImplementationThe post 12 Step of TPM Implementation appeared first on Greendot Management Solutions.
- Muda Mura MuriThe post Muda Mura Muri appeared first on Greendot Management Solutions.
- 7 Types of Abnormalities in TPMThe post 7 Types of Abnormalities in TPM appeared first on Greendot Management Solutions.
- 8 Wastes of Lean ManufacturingThe post 8 Wastes of Lean Manufacturing appeared first on Greendot Management Solutions.
- Cost of Quality vs Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ)The post Cost of Quality vs Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ) appeared first on Greendot Management Solutions.
- What is Lean Six Sigma ?The post What is Lean Six Sigma ? appeared first on Greendot Management Solutions.
- Six Big Losses in OEEThe post Six Big Losses in OEE appeared first on Greendot Management Solutions.
- Top Lean ToolsThe post Top Lean Tools appeared first on Greendot Management Solutions.
- 5S in the Workplace | 5S ImplementationThe post 5S in the Workplace | 5S Implementation appeared first on Greendot Management Solutions.