WHAT IS LEAN?
In this globalisation where company has issue to produce profitability and catering to changing need of customer become challenges. Lean manufacturing gives you the flexibility to manufacture the products according to the needs and demand of the customer. Customer is not willing to pay more prices on the contrary
Lean manufacturing or lean production, is a systematic method of elimination of waste within a manufacturing system. Lean also takes into account which created through overburden and was created true unevenness workload. Lean management is a concept related to manufacturing sector it is applicable to Other industries as well Such as retail, Service Sector.
Advantages of Lean Manufacturing, improve quality increase efficiency by eliminating waste and reducing cost. These all positive impacts improve the performance of the organisation some of the benefits observed during implications of as below
- Reduced cost reduced – Cost by reducing cycle time, increase productivity ,reducing machine downtime, increase output from existing facility and eliminating the bottlenecks
- Reduce lead time – Lean manufacturing help to reduced lead time, reduced with effect of reduce cycle time and also reduce work in progress inventory.
- Waste reduction -all form of waste like , defect, Over productions , waiting for information, non value added activities, Transportation, inventory, motion and unutilised talent, are the waste that can be reduced by reducing Lean Manufacturing.
- Improved productivity – improve productivity by improving labour productivity by reducing ideal time and ensuring that labor are not doing unnecessary task or motions
- Reducing work in progress – reduction in WI, production state is known as inventory (WIP) at all state of production
- Reduce defects – By quality improvement elimination of various errors and unnecessary physical waste including excess use of raw material inputs prevent defects and costs associated with repairing
- Reducing waiting Time – time between process stage as well as process preparation time.
- Improve flexibility by reducing change over time – Minimum changeover cost Time (SMED) improve the flexibility to produce more range of products
- Better utilization of space and equipment – by eliminating bottlenecks and maximizing the rate of production with existing equipment with minimizing machine down time
Benefits of Lean Manufacturing
Benefits of lean Manufacturing are listed below. we have created a remarkable improvement in the company. For More information please visit our you tube channel.
- Over Production – Producing Items for which there are no orders, which generates such wastes as overstaffing and storage and transportation costs because of excess inventory.
- Waiting – Workers merely serving to watch an automated machine or having to stand around waiting for the next process step,tool,supply,parts,etc., or just having no work because of stock outs,lot processing delays,equipment downtime, and capacity bottlenecks.
- Unnecessary transport or conveyance – Carrying work in process long distances,creating inefficient transport,or moving materials,parts,or finished goods into or out of storage or between processes.
- Over processing or incorrect processing – Taking unneeded steps to process the parts. Inefficiently processing due to poor tool and product design,causing unnecessary motion and producing defects. Waste is generated when providing higher-quality products than necessary.
- Excess inventory – Excess raw material, WIP, or finished goods causing longer lead time,obsolescence,damaged goods,transportation and storage costs and delay. Also, extra inventory hides problems such as production imbalances,late deliveries from suppliers,defects,equipment downtime and long setup time.
- Unnecessary moment – Any wasted motion employees have to perform during the course of their work, such as looking for, researching for, or stacking parts,tools etc. Also,walking is waste.
- Defects – Production of defective parts or corrections. Repair or rework,scrap,replacement production,and inspection mean wasteful handling time,and efforts.
- Unused employee creativity – Losing time,ideas,skills,improvements,and learning opportunities by not engaging or listening to your employees.
LEAN TOOLS AND BENEFITS
SMED/Setup Time Reduction
SMED (Single minute Exchange of Dies ) will help you to reduce Change over time Of Machines.
Single piece flow/Cellular Layout/Layout improvement
One Piece Flow is a fundamental element of becoming lean. To think of processing one unit at a time usually Improve Delivery time, Reduce Inventory.
Kaizen is a Lean manufacturing tool that improves quality, productivity, safety, and workplace culture
Kanban Boards Increase Efficiency and Help Reduce Waste. Kanban boards have proven to be the best solution for managers looking to cut waste and improve overall efficiency.
Poka Yoke is any mechanism in a Lean manufacturing process that helps to avoid mistakes
Learn about the 5S principles: Sort, Set in Order, Shine, Standardize and Sustain. Increase team productivity. Ensure quality and safety at work
No breakdowns, no small stops or slow running, no defects, and no accidents. It emphasises proactive and preventative maintenance to maximise the lifespan and productivity of equipment.
Quality circle is one of the most Prominent Problem solving Tools. Result is Assured
Lean Help Organisation to implement the Employee Engagement. Skill Development and culture building are part of it
Lean manufacturing implementation biggest mistake that people make is looking lean as just setup tools. Lean manufacturing is a concept of philosophy which cannot be implemented immediately it is required to develop understanding about clean within organisations and to develop the way of managing your company here are few ideas for successful implementation of lean management
1. Lean management is about learning by doing in the early stage of lean transformation that should be at least 80% doing and 20% training and informing
2. Start with the small pilot project so that more resources are utilised and more chances are for better result with lesser risk
3. Used talented and experience facilitator who has a deep understanding of lean tools and philosophy
4. Make it mandatory activity Robert nice to do in spare time activity people need to give space to think about improvements
5. Top management commitment and focus is key for implantation it is possible that problem may arise but top management should be committed and focus for implementation process
6. Be original do not copy others someone did something right to get you to this part build on that build your own companies Heritage to identify what you stand for
7. Create a positive atmosphere be tolerant towards mistake committed doing wrong things have courage to take risk
8. We make sure that all decision taken are based on sound data not on the opinions thinking and experience
9. Ensure all processes have teenagers and review them regularly read the performance and make them visible to all.
10. Don’t celebrate too early or give up too soon. Lean is a journey. aim is to build culture of continuous improvements
Lean principles cannot be implemented precisely in same way in each and every industries.Therefore all the firms need to select appropriate Tools and techniques as per the organisational culture, infrastructure, facility and work environment. Further, most Indian firms/ unit have the human resource commitment on approval of new thinking. the implication of lean philosophy needed motivated and trained task force and committed top management. Implementation strategy is very important aspect of success of Lean manufacturing implementation in organisation. Implementation plan should be prepared carefully implementing time to time, review changes are required for success full implementation.
What is 3M? MURI/MURA/MUDA
Muri are burning people recruitment this is an some respect on the opposite ends of the spectrum of Muda Lori is pushing a machine or person beyond the natural remedy for burning people result in safety and quality problems are burning equipment causes breakdowns and effects
Mura refers to an unevenness in the distribution of workload in an organization. A production process is a chain of linked events that rely on one another, and it’s important to ensure that every component of that process is tasked with a burden that they can handle.
Muda means wastefulness, uselessness and futility, which is contradicting value-addition. Value-added work is a process that adds value to the product or service that the customer is willing to pay for.