- December 28, 2015
- Posted by: greendot
- Category: Kanban, Lean, PLANING, Productivity, Quality, strategy
Kanban became an effective tool to support running a production system as a whole, and an excellent way to promote improvement. Problem areas are highlighted by reducing the number of kanban in circulation. One of the main benefits of kanban is to establish an upper limit to the WIP (work in progress) inventory, avoiding overloading of the manufacturing system.
kanban was developed at Toyota in the 1940, designed as pull based, self stocking system for auto mobile production. Adoption adopted as a software development management technique in 2003, focusing on “work progress” limitation to achieve short cycle time. the 5 steps to have effective kanban is here.
identify the each stages in your project.
- Capture them on board. Each stage is a column. cards represent the task that have to go through in process.
Limit work in process.
- limit the maximum work load on specific stages. becasue task are pulled from column to column – Not pushed, each stage can only work as many task as next stage allow. These way you never overload your team member.
- is cycle time going up or down? where are bottle necks? is something stuck somewhere , or should we merge or split task?
- identify and define the policy for the standard task., task with fixed delivery dates , intangible task etc. Make sure that even exceptional task are well integrated in to process.
Feedback loops and Continuous improvement
- talk about what worked out and what did not. Identify bottlenecks and fix them. Kanban is evolutionary and lives of the experiments you do with WIP, policies etc.run the experiments using Scientific Method.